Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Submissions Update:

Okay, folks. Time to tally up the score.

One short story accepted and published. Woo-hoo!

One short story rejected, but quite nicely. Could be much, much worse. I was at least told that the imagery was good and memorable, even if not what the editor wanted at the time. I'll treasure that.

One short story anthology shit-canned after a 4-month wait, so no acceptance or rejection there. Yeesh. Four months.

One short story out there, somewhere, floating around in cyberspace to an e-zine that hasn't responded in 7 -- count 'em -- SEVEN months, even to the politely-worded request as to whether or not they even received the submission. I gave up on that one at the 5 month mark, but it's still kinda sadly amusing to mention. No acceptance or rejection there.

As near as I can figure folks, with straight acceptance/rejection ratio, I'm tied 1-1. However, as for submissions in general, I'm a sadly lacking 1-3. *grin*

Good thing I don't count a cancelled anthology and an incommunicado e-zine, ne?

7 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger none said...

I think congratulations are in order for all of this. Just the waiting is deserving of a medal. Did you know, Dorchester once kept a manuscript of mine for 1 and 1/2 year and it was requested through an agent and I had already published for them.

They were sitting on it. They had a first refusal clause. I finally had to call Alicia Condon and just demand it back.

Janie

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

The real victory is in taking that first step to submit in the first place. Remember how hard that first time was? Now it's a piece of cake, right? :-)

Keep submitting, Sis! You know I'm going to start nagging you about the trilogy eventually....

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, Janie! Over a year and a half? I had some hesitations about Dorchester after reading about the Dara Joy hoopla.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I'd lose my mind. A year and a half? Man, I'm relatively patient, but DAMN. No can do.

And yes, Sis, I know the trilogy isn't safe forever. *grin* I'm working on it a little as I work on the young adult book. Not as much as I probably should, but Freshmen is just flowing better right now, and I need to go with that if I want to get it done quickly. And it has to be relatively short -- about half of what I usually write. *smirk*

In other words, if I really cranked on it, I COULD finish it in two weeks, but I don't think that'd do it justice. It's not due until Dec. 31, so I can take my time and get it right without messing up my promise to have Book 3 done by Christmas.

I hope.

Yeesh. Can I put any more on my plate? I mean, you just can't keep Tater Salad at this temperature!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger none said...

Dorchester is a much better publisher now and listen, I made more off some books for them than I did Kensington, and Chris K is a great editor and he ACTUALLY READS.

You just have to be wary of those open ended contracts.

Janie, who wouldn't mind a book with them again. I could a few thousand dollars and have thought about this all week.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I agree, Janie! Not a bad idea to pursue. But it does seem that the wait just gets longer and longer doesn't it? Ah, well. You have to try, that is the important thing.
Hugs,
Michelle

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I agree, Janie! Not a bad idea to pursue. But it does seem that the wait just gets longer and longer doesn't it? Ah, well. You have to try, that is the important thing.
Hugs,
Michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home