Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Dear Charlie:

Proof positive that you learn something new every day:

I love reading the Tuesday Morning Quarterback. This guy really nails all aspects of the game and his "Why are you kicking/punting??" jabs are usually hysterically right on. Plus, he came up with quirky cognomen for all the teams, like the Cleveland Tootsie Rolls, etc. I've added his link in my sidebar, but it won't show up until I republish, and that may not be today.

At any rate, here's just a nip from his latest article [http://nfl.com/news/story/7786742]:

"Baltimore kicking off in the fourth quarter, Nanticokes' returner Chad Morton ran toward the ball as it approached the sideline at the Washington 15. Morton deliberately stepped out of bounds, then reached back in to touch the rolling ball on the field. Brilliant! Kickoff rules specify that if a player who is out of bounds touches a live kick, the kickoff is declared out and the receiving team gets possession on the 40 -- regardless of whether the ball actually goes out. Morton knew that deliberately stepping out of bounds, then reaching back to touch the ball, would advance the Redskins' drive start from the 15 to the 40. Tuesday Morning Quarterback is constantly amazed that highly paid professional football players on special teams so often seem not to know the quirky rules of kicking plays. Morton knew."

I did not know that. *shakes head* This is why I love this guy. I mean, who just knows that off the top of his head??

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Oops. Spoke too soon. There it is, over there under "Links". I guess you DON'T have to republish the entire blog for a link to show up.

That's TWO things I've learned today! It's lookin up, folks! *Goku grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home