Monday, October 04, 2004

Dear Charlie:

Yeesh! I didn't blog all weekend! Shame on me!

But I had good reason. This, my friends, was a baking weekend. Mind you, I didn't bake steadily, 24/7 all weekend, but it was a close thing.

I got up early Saturday and read Rose Madder, one of my favorite Stephen King novels. This was a huge relief for me. If you've been peeking at my beloved sister's blog, you'll know we've been agonizing over whether or not we'll be able to read other people's stuff without a jaded eye anymore. Thankfully, I can say that, while third person omniscient POV is no longer my favorite to read, I can still swing it now and then. *grin*

At any rate, by about noon, it was time to bake. I made my mom's secret-recipe sugar cookies. Now, all humility aside (which I can do because I didn't make up this recipe, though I use it almost religiously), these are the best sugar cookies in the world. Simple as that. The Best.

But, I made a double batch, so between chilling the dough and hunting for my favorite Fall Leaf cookie cutter, not finding it, and having to run to Wal-Mart for another (only to discover that unless it was Halloween or Christmas, no seasonal cookie cutters were in stock), the baking did take most of the afternoon. I also had company until evening, so that kinda took up some time, too.

And I forgot to eat. *sheepish*

Anyway, after I was done baking, I sat back down for some more Rose Madder. Sunday, I managed to get up a little later (I LOVE sleeping in!), then got to work frosting the bazillions of maple leaf shaped cookies I'd baked the day before. Okay, maybe not a BAZILLION, but definitely over 9 dozen. That's a lot.

Plus, I had a Dungeons & Dragons campaign at 4:00, so that took a big chunk out of the day, too. But, it only took me about 4 hours total to frost all those maple leaf cookies in various fall colors. They look quite pretty spread out on a dish in the office kitchen, too.

*smirk* Of course, they won't look pretty for long. They're usually gone by about 2:00!

6 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

They are the best sugar cookies in the world, assuming you don't shoot yourself messing with such a soft dough! Are they all gone yet??

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

You know it! They were long gone by 3:00. *grin*

The dough is definitely a pain in the ass to work with, but proper chilling and a ton of flour work wonders.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG!!! You should have taken pic's and posted them Molly! I LOVE sugar cookies. I have this great receipe that calls for adding in sour cream. And they puff up so pretty. I normally make about 12 dozen for Christmas! Mine are called Sour dough cookies! Oh, now my mouth is watering.

Um...we could a receipe switch if you like! he he he
I've got to do some cool cookies for fall. Oh, and the sour dough is awful to work with too! I'll even put it in the freezer to keep it from sticking to everything. I think the receipe calls for some unGodly amount like six sticks of REAL butter or something. But darn it they're so good!!!!
Hugs,
Michelle
who wished she had one of your cookies!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I think we may have the same recipe! Sour cream is the secret ingredient in MY favorite cookies! Holy cow, I've never come across anyone else who has that recipe!!

Cool!

Like I told Jane on her blog, you should really see my severed-hand cookies...frosted with peach frosting and slathered with red gel icing at the wrists!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Well,
I'll have to send you my receipe and we can compare notes! Ha ha ha ha!!!! But I tell you, if you ever run across a receipe for Pearl Wafers you better nab it and send it to me. My grandmother used to make those for Christmas and I love them! Just love them!!!!
Hugs hon! I'm glad your beloved Chiefs won!
Certainly starts off the week right!
Michelle

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Heh. Rather than exchanging e-mail addresses over blogs (what's the point of keeping your e-mail private if you're just gonna give it out in a comment, ne?), you can probably get mine from Joely. You're on Jane's plotting workshop, right?

Then, we'll be all good, and we can trade recipes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home