Friday, September 24, 2004

Pleasant Interlude:

I'm in a Meat Loaf kind of mood tonight. I dragged out...*gasp*...a CASSETTE! Yes, while my extensive CD collection contains both Bat Out of Hell and Back Into Hell, it doesn't contain Welcome to the Neighborhood. Anymore. It used to.

I let someone borrow it. Never saw it again. *sigh*

At any rate, I have to admit that my favorite song on that album is "Original Sin".

Original Sin
[property of Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman]

I've been looking for an original sin
One with a twist and a bit of a spin
And since I've...done all of the old ones
'Til they've all been done in
Now I'm just looking
Then I'm gone with the wind
Endlessly searching for an original sin

You can dance forever
You got a fire in your feet
But will it ever be enough?
You know that it'll never be enough

You can fly and never land
And never need to sleep
But will it ever be enough?
You know that it'll never be enough

It's not enough to make the nightmares go away
Not enough to make the tears run dry
Not enough to live a little better everyday

Everything that they taught us
Was nothing but lies
Everything thing they brought us
Was nothing but bribes

But it'll all be over now

All I wanted was a piece of the night
I never got an equal share
When the stars are out of sight
And the moon is down
The natives are so restless tonight

I've been looking for an original sin
One with a twist and a bit of a spin
And since I've...done all of the old ones
'Til they've all been done in
Now I'm just looking
Then I'm gone with the wind
Endlessly searching for an original sin

You can lose yourself in pleasure
'Til your body's going numb
But will it ever be enough?
You know that it'll never be enough

You can always take whatever
You conceivably could want
But will it ever be enough?
You know that it'll never be enough

It's not enough to make the nightmares go away
Not enough to make the tears run dry
Not enough to live a little better everyday

Everything that they taught us
Was nothing but lies
Everthing thing they brought us
Was nothing but bribes

But the lies are over now

All I wanted was a piece of the night
It never had to get so dark
When the stars are out of sight
And the moon is down
The natives are so restless tonight

I've been looking for an original sin
One with a twist and a bit of a spin
And since I've...done all of the old ones
'Til they've all been done in
Now I'm just looking
For an original sin.

I've been looking for the ultimate crime
Infinite victims, infinitesimal time
And I'm so...very guilty for no reason or rhyme
Now I'm just looking
And I'm killing some time
Endlessly searching for the ultimate crime

I've been looking for an original sin
One with a twist and a bit of a spin
And since I've...done all of the old ones
'Til they've all been done in
Now I'm just looking
Then I'm gone with the wind
Endlessly searching for an original sin

I'm applying for a license to thrill
Going out on the edge
Moving in for the kill
And there'll be hell to pay someday
Put it all on the bill
'Cause we'll always be paying
And paying until
We're beyond expiration
With a license to thrill

I've been looking for an original sin....




Is that not just an incredible song? God, gives me chills. I kid you not. Gonna listen to that over and over tonight. I love the rest of the songs, too, but that one stays with me.

5 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I don't think I've heard this before...but the lyrics are great! I'll have to keep my eyes out for this cd. I really got into Meatloaf about mid-way through book 1. Especially "I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever going to love you." I just love that song!!!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Oh, man! The lyrics are great, but you get Meat Loaf singing it with that voice of his and...geez....

There are no words. In-frickin-credible comes close....

Of course, there's also "Left in the Dark" which just about guts ya, "Where Angels Sing" which does the same, and "Martha" (I think), that's just precious. That third CD of his, Welcome to the Neighborhood, is just incredible. It's amazing.

Again, there are no words. I've listened to the tape all morning while I washed dishes. It's about the only thing that makes housework bearable. *grin*

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Damn it Molly, you just had to go and do it didn't you? You had to bring out Meatloaf!!!!!! Here I was hoping you were talking about dinner. Damn, now you know I had to drag out my old cd's....

My favorite is of course: I'd do anything for love...
Some days I pray for silence, and somedays I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N Roll
Some nights I lose the feeling, and some nights I lose control
Some nights I just lose it all when I watch you dance and the thunder rolls

Maybe I'm lonely and that's all I'm qualified to be
There's just one and only, the one and only promise I can keep

As long as the wheels are turning, as long as the fires are burning
As long as your prayers are coming true, you better believe it

That I would do anything for love, and you know it's true and that's a fact
I would do anything for love, and there'll never be no turning back

But I'll never do it better than I do it with you, so long, so long
And I would do anything for love, oh I would do anything for love
I would do anything for love, but I won't do that, no no no I won't do that

I would do anything for love, anything you've been dreaming of
But I just won't do that


*crossing arms over her chest* Now see and what you went and made me do?????
Hrmph! Now I've got to do the dishes!!!
Miss Sweet Pea

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

ACK! I tried to stick to one album, dammit! Now I gotta go get BOTH my other CDs and play them all day, too! *grins* Oh, such a tragedy....

Man, I love Meat Loaf. Even back in high school and junior high. My best friend's dad used to just roll his eyes when I drove up blasting Meat Loaf. Called him "ol' Meat Head" -- as in "Molly's listenin to that ol' Meat Head again." Ha!

But I loved it. Ballads, baby. Ballads and gut-wrenchers and ones that made you laugh and ones that made you just want to hold your loved one close.....

Thank you, Meat Loaf, for singing and thank you, Jim Steinman, for writing!

In addition to countless Meat Loaf lovelies, Jim Steinman also gave us "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and the only song by Celine Dion that I can stand, "It's All Coming Back to Me Now". *grin*

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger DrPat said...

Your post has been scanned for "Weekly BlogScan: You Either Love or Hate Meat Loaf."

You can read the citation on BlogCritics (where most of the discussion is):
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/05/06/234943.php

and also on my blog at:
http://paperfrigate.blogspot.com/2005/05/weekly-blogscan-you-either-love-or.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home