Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Funny Sidebar:

I know I said I'd blog the hell out of you guys tomorrow, but I can't wait that long or I'll forget. *sheepish*

In keeping with my beloved sister's blog about funny Spell Check suggestions for her character names, I thought I'd share some of my own from a long time back. You see, when I first finished Book 1, I ran a spell check, just to make sure of the obvious errors. I usually don't use spell-check, but nearly 500 pages is just too damn many to leave to even my editing skills. *grin*

At any rate, here are the more amusing ones:

Ha'jita = fajita
Ja'taro = taco

I have come to a stunning conclusion. Akira Toriyama, the brilliant (and possibly high) creater of DragonBall Z (and all its various iterations except GT), named a bunch of his alien characters after food. Vegeta-vegetable, Kakarot-carrot, Raditz-radish, Gohan-bread or rice (I can't remember which), etc.

You see, I think he probably had them named something else originally, then got a kick out of the trend of Spell Check suggestions, thereby changing them all to fit the trend. HA! Brilliant!

Who knew my character names that I insisted on totally making up (as they're aliens and wouldn't have any type of human names) would be so comparable to Mexican food! *snicker*

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger The Lizard Queen said...

That's interesting about character names. I have such a hard time coming up with character names, but if that's the way some folks do it, I suppose I could do the same. Maybe name all my characers after different species of plants or something.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Heh. Plant species. That's beautiful! I bet those names would ROCK, and only you would know their etiology!

I had a whole language structure in mind when I made up my character names. The first part of their names, before the apostrophe, denotes their rank in society. The last part is a short, almost like a nickname to use when familiar with the person. So, the character names I use most often are Jita and Taro (which is where Spell Check tagged me with "taco"), but the whole name is much more formal.

Plus, as my beloved sister discovered recently, I wanted all the alien characters to have short, phonetic 4-letter names to show their differences from the humans. The humans have names like Kahri, Kasen, Gloria, Dylan, etc. The aliens are Jita, Taro, Saki, Tibo, Kosa, Sova, Gesa, Basu, etc.

I did invent something of a language for my alien characters, too. Mostly, it's just a few words, so I didn't have to do too much grammar swapping, but it was tricky coming up with basically three different types of speaking, spelling, and word-structure. I mean, the aliens don't all speak the SAME different language. *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home