Thursday, September 16, 2004

Dear Charlie:

Heh. Sometimes life just cracks me up. I guess I'm easily amused. Please, God, don't let that ever change.

Woody's last night was spectacular. We had SUCH a good time! Scott was in one of his karaoke moods, so he wanted to play while other people sang. Needless to say, I crouched in a corner and tried to wait it out. Unfortunately, the people who knew me would have no such thing, and the people who didn't know me listened to the people who did. *shakes head* They did the Molly chant. You know, like Jerry Springer? "Moll-LEE! Moll-LEE! Moll-LEE!"

So, after someone else got up and did a great blues-y number that had everyone in a great mood, I finally pried myself out of the corner and hesitantly took the mic.

Now, I usually just do American Pie and get it over with. People love that song, and they're impressed that I know all the verses. Hell, it's like a book. *grin* This time, though, they wanted that song AND another. They wanted Vincent, also by Don McLean. Beautiful song, and they know I know the lyrics. Dammit. So, I figure I'll placate them and get off relatively easy by agreeing to try Vincent, though Scott hasn't played it a while.

Everyone swayed and smiled and loved the wistful lyrics and melody, so I felt pretty good. I started to hand the mic back, and dammit! Scott started strumming the opening chords to American Pie! NOOO! I didn't want to do BOTH! ACK!

Narrowing my eyes, I bargained like a Black Market pro. I jimmied him down to 3 verses, instead of the usual 6. And I made everyone sing on the chorus, since everyone and their cousins know it.

Actually, despite my protesting and my reluctance to ever intrude on someone else's gig, it was pretty fun. Just this once. Next time, I'm going to the bathroom. For the rest of the night, just to be sure. *grin*

At any rate, once his gig was over, Scott insisted on another wild round of Word Dojo, a computer game me, Jamie (the bartender), and Scott have become addicted to. Great game. We managed to break a million points last week and did a shot to celebrate. It was great, though I hadn't drank in just long enough to make that first taste of whiskey a bit...rough. *grin*

So, this week, we thought to just see how many points we could get, not really expecting to overshoot that magical 1,077,000 mark we'd hit last week.

We beat it. TWICE. We rule! Team Fn' Wood kicked Word Dojo's ASS!

Heh.

It's the simple things in life you treasure.

Yes, I stole that line from Galaxy Quest. Great movie, by the way....

6 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Damn! Forgot the funniest and best part of the evening!

I talked Scott into going to Smackdown with me! He's gonna try to get like 5 tickets so he, his wife, Jane and Elliot, and Dave can all go! Woo-hoo!

Here's hoping he can still get decent tickets (or any tickets, for that matter). Hopefully, I won't be rooting like an idiot alone in a bunch of equally-rooting strangers....

Is it bad that this wouldn't be the first time that's happened? *Goku grin*

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

"Now for ten years we've been on our own and moss grows fat on a rollin stone but that's not how it used to be, when the jester sang for the king and queen in a coat he borrowed from James Dean and a voice that came from you and me, oh and while the king was looking down, the jester stole his thorny crown the courtroom was adjourned, no verdict was returned, and while Lenin read a book on Marx, the quartet practiced in the park and we sang dirges in the dark, the day, the music, died. We were singin.."

Starry, starry night
Portraits hung in empty halls
Frameless heads on nameless walls
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget
Like the strangers that you've met
The ragged man in ragged clothes
The silver thorn of bloody rose
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow

From another Don McLean fanatic! I love these songs, and have since I was about 12 and heard them for the first time. Believe I wrote some poetry to these songs. Music has always moved me. Always!
Kudos love, may the music never let us forget!!!
Hugs,
Michelle

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I also love Jim Croche...
"Operator, can you help me place this call? You see the number on the math book is old and faded."
Thank you for your time, oh you've been so much more than kind...
Isn't that the way they say it goes...Well forget all that and give me the number if you can find it so I can call just tell 'em I'm fine and assure, I never lost the glow I've to take it well, I only wish my words could just convince myself, that is just wasn't real...but thats not the way it feels.

Had to do another one babe!
Michelle

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Oh! I LOVE Jim Croche!!

Man, you'd love it when me, Scott, and Mike all get together and jam! We do all that good shit! We do three-part harmony that'll make you cry.

We used to do a lot of the Beatles, too -- Ticket to Ride, Nowhere Man, etc. -- just for that harmony. I swear that got us more gigs than anything else.

I love music. I love THAT music. I love Jim Croche, Don McLean, Steve Earle, The Allman Brothers, The Steve Miller Band.....

God, there isn't enough space on the internet to list all my favorites.

I still think one of my favorite songs in the whole world may be "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay", followed closely by "Mr. Bojangles". And "Poison Ivy". And "Play that Funky Music". And "Dance with Me". And "Ain't Even Done with the Night". And "Cherry Bomb". And "Route 66". And "Cease and Desist".

Geez. Now ya got me goin!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger username said...

Molly--give them some Linkin Park. Heh.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Hn. I was actually thinking Offspring might fit into that conversation. Can't you just hear it?

And all the girlies say I'm pretty fly
For a white guy....

He needs some cool tunes
Not just any will suffice
But they didn't have Ice Cube
So he bought Vanilla Ice
Now cruisin in his Pinto
He sees homies as he pass
But if he looks twice
They're gonna KICK HIS LILY-ASS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home