Monday, August 16, 2004

Dear Charlie:

Yuck. I hate Mondays. I always end up wishing I'd just stayed in bed.

So much to do today. Finish a medical chronology, update my browser at work, stay awake....

Those three things alone would keep me hopping all day, but with all the little every-day things we all have to do -- wash dishes (and GOD, do I need to wash dishes!), do laundry, write, write, write, exercise (egad), fix at least two square meals (I forget to eat. So sue me), write some more, take movies back to the store to avoid late charges....

Well, you get the picture.

What? Surprised a scatter-brained nutbar like me actually thinks about such mundane, practical things as housework and rental fees? *grin* Well, I like surprising people, so that's okay. And I like that people give that "What the--?" look when I'm ridiculously practical. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

At any rate, I have so much crap to do that I'd better get to it. If anything non-mundane happens, I will, of course, post it immediately. Until then....

Oh, wait! I forgot! I had a bizarro dream last night, and my beloved sister would smack me for not telling her about it, since it's ALL HER FAULT!

Said beloved sister is, in an unprecedented and utterly ballsy move, writing up her query and synopsis to send to an agent. ACK! I bow down in worship to her courage and will. However, she has suggested that I do the same, the result of which being the post from yesterday about Simon and chicken shit. *grin*

So, of course, it should be quite obvious that I dreamed about it last night.

I dreamed I wrote a lovely synopsis in two pages (the agent wanted one) and a superb query letter in Times New Roman font (the agent wanted Courier, for some reason -- that's usually a manuscript). I hemmed and hawed, then finally sent them off to the same agent Joely queried.

ACK! That's where the nightmare began! As soon as I sent it, I noticed like ten REALLY OBVIOUS typos and one just HEINOUS grammar mistake, which I NEVER make. Then, I realized I forgot to mention that my sister had already been accepted (prophecy for the future, Sis? *wink* ) and had mentioned my name to said agent, so I'd totally missed my chance to name-drop. THEN, I realized I'd forgotten to enclose the frickin' synopsis!

Needless to say, I don't think I'm ready to query just yet. *rolls eyes*

9 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Well, in some ways this nightmare wasn't as bad as the Spider Man dream, right?

Come on, Sis, you know even if you'd made such glaring grammar and typo mistakes (you wouldn't have) then hopefully I'd catch them. If it passed our eyes (like durge) then most people wouldn't catch it either!

Seriously, though, stop stressing about it. I'd rather you write and finish the trilogy than have nightmares about submitting it anywhere and be unable to write as a result. I've had many dreams like this--remember my dream where a certain D. Kakarot B. reamed me in his blog for all the world to see?

Just write. I want to see which of the Last Mates you're going to kill off in that big final battle....

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*grin* Don't we all just want to know....

Well, I do enjoy my story, and I'd kick myself for leaving it as-is. I just can't do it. So, here's a public promise to write on it again. Instead of ANYTHING ELSE, I'm going back to reading through Books 1 and 2 on my way to finishing Book 3.

For now, I'll not worry about querying, though I'll probably take notes on the salient points for a synopsis on this read-through.

Yeah, and I got issues with that certain D. Kakarot B., too. Jerk. *snort* Then again, I have a certain T. Son-of-a-Namek D. to gripe at, too. And don't forget a certain blood-sucking magazine that hasn't gotten back to me in over 4 months. *sigh*

Do you think I should send a short e-mail asking about the status of my submission? Or just asking if they even received it, as I haven't heard anything? Would that be presumptuous?

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

On the blood-sucking magazine, I would definitely send a brief, polite query since they claimed to have a much shorter response time than FOUR MONTHS!!

Yep, I'm with you on the T.D. response time too. ARG.

What helped me the most on synopsis points that MUST be included -- summarize your whole book in one sentence. Summarize the beginning--the hook--in one sentence. Then the end. After all, that's all the Editor/Agent is really going to want to know. The rest is just details. Then I did the same for the series as a whole--what's the main theme/premise in one sentence. Because it's short, I had room to include the series theme in that one-page query. (I'm still working out those pesky details on the one-page synopsis, though.)

Definitely, keep these things in mind as you re-read and edit the beginning books, but don't feel stressed to undertake anything until YOU'RE ready. I just want to see how everything ends up!! Can I get you to publicly commit to finishing book 3 by Christmas? Pretty please?

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Ack! Turn the screws, why doncha??

I'll think about it. Normally, I'd have no problem committing to any such thing, as both Books 1 and 2 only took a month apiece to write. However, as I've been "working" on Book 3 -- read: stewing about it and editing Books 1 and 2 -- since, oh...MARCH, I'm not sure I SHOULD make any promises.

However, as I just read the adored Lizard Queen's stirring discourse on taking charge of one's own destiny and twinged in discomfort of my own cowardice, I feel I should DEFINITELY make EXACTLY that promise.

So....

AHEM. Hear ye, hear ye. As of this 16th day of August in the year of our Lord, 2004, I, Molly Burkhart, aka GutterBall, aka Tater Salad -- oh, wait; that's someone else *grin* -- do hereby declare that I will have at least a first draft of The Second Chance, Book 3 in my trilogy, finished by Christmas of this same year of our Lord, 2004.

And there was great rejoicing. Yay.

I further solemnly swear that, if I finish said book well in advance of the Christmas deadline, I will then change my oath to querying out said trilogy by Christmas.

How's that for taking charge? Oh, I hope the adored Lizard Queen reads this and approves of my daring and appreciates the impact her lovely discourse had on my state of mind!

Between you, adored Lizard Queen, and you, beloved sister, I just might get my name out there before I die! Woo-hoo!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Woo-hoo!!! *dancing*

We did it, Lizard Queen! Thanks for uniting with me. Seriously, Sis, just get the darned trilogy done. That'll make me extremely happy! I can't wait to see how your final battle ends up! Then you can query in your own good time. By Christmas sounds VERY good....

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*grumbles inarticulately*

Yeah, yeah. By Christmas. *sigh*

However, despite my posturing, I do feel a renewed sense of energy. I've already pulled up The Last Mates for a good read-thru, and I can feel that little switch in my mind that moves me from "casual dabbler" to "serious writer".

I feel like, once I get back into the minds of my characters, once I get back their voices, I'll actually be able to get into the zone. So, here goes, folks!

Please return your seats and tray tables to their upright and locked positions. Expect turbulence. And please observe the "no smoking" sign.

Sorry. That last bit just slipped in....

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger The Lizard Queen said...

I most certainly do applaud you and if Salome were still around (I've loaned her out to Jean) she would bless you with Riddick smut from here until eternity. *grin*

The funny thing I was in one of my funky moods and was thinking about deleting that entry regarding my latest "pity party" but I'm glad I didn't if it helped you.

It is said that a goal is a dream with a deadline. We've all set deadlines, you, me, your Sis, so let's go about meeting them and moving foward into the future.

So holding hands, we skip through the poppies and along the yellow brick road. "Weeeerrreee off to see the Wizard."

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I think that is a truly lovely line. "It is said that a goal is a dream with a deadline." Perfection.

You're always so inspiring, Lizard Queen! Is it any wonder you are adored?

"We hear he is a wiz of a Wiz, if ever a wiz there was."

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger The Lizard Queen said...

Ah, I see my comment finally went through. Uh, just ignore the comment I made to your other entry. I'm having fumble fingers this evening. Must be all the sugar I ate this evening. I'm jittery. *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home