Thursday, August 19, 2004

Dear Charlie:

Up to page 100 on my revision!

Wow, this thing is TRUCKIN. I thought I would have to change more in this initial battle scene, but -- surprise, surprise -- as I read over it, it's surprisingly tight. I've separated out the few perspective shifts with asterisks, but the narrative really stays true.

I'm a bit surprised. All the scenes leading up to this needed quite a bit of readjustment to fit this new point of view scheme of mine, and I was deathly afraid I had totally screwed up this battle. Or worse, that I'd have to totally screw up the give and take to make the point of view work. But, I didn't do as much third-person-omniscient as I thought, and the few times I'm not in either one head or the other, it just requires a bit of perspective shift. It's usually like a sentence of Bryn's reaction to something Jita said that shouldn't be there because I'm in Jita's head. Little stuff like that. Easily fixed.

So, I'm a lot less worried about the rest of these revisions. They should be fairly easy to carry through, and if I remember the upcoming scenes correctly, there's a pretty natural progression into a more omniscient point of view. It doesn't really kick in until Book 2, as Book 1 is really Bryn's story, to a certain extent, so it needs the distinct perspectives, but it's there, and I think it will work all right with very minor tweaking.

Woo-hoo!

7 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

See, I told you! You don't have POV issues. Small tweaks will be plenty to sharpen your prose to a killing edge.

I'm stuck on "plaything" when Sontache insults Shannari. That just doesn't seem like a very Sha'Kae al'Dan insult, you know? If you have thoughts, send them my way....

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger The Lizard Queen said...

Glad to hear you're making progress! Would say more but I'm really, REALLY running late this mornng.

Have a good one and keep truckin' *grin*

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

So you're probably up to 200 pages now, right?

Don't think about "plaything" -- I fixed it with something else last night. No trucking along here, just creeping bit by bit.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Nope, not up to 200, but I'm above 100 now. I didn't get too terribly much done last night because Dave brought home the newest DBZ movie release and we had to watch it twice. *grin*

You know me. I'll write a whole blog post about it.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Can't wait. *rolls eyes*

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

One other thing....You ought to go read about D.B.'s toe in glorious detail.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Oh, God. You're kidding, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home