Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Dear Charlie:

One last post before heading off to bed.

This deep edit is going swimmingly. Up to page 75, and I think I've finally clarified things that, while obvious to me because I know so much about my characters, might not be obvious to the world. It's paced so much quicker with what I've learned about paragraphing, and I've fixed a lot of the sentences starting with the simple subject/verb pattern.

Plus, I've eliminated a lot of character names by being more careful with who is in perspective. It's not point of view so much as who the point of a given section can see, hear, smell, etc. Since I've clarified so much of that crap, I don't have to say "Jita said" or "Gabin did" nearly so much, and I rarely have to use Bryn's name at all in the narrative. I mean, thus far, she's the only "she" I have. *grin*

Oh, oh! And while I haven't shortened any chapters, per se, I have divided them into smaller scene chunks, separating each with little asterisks. I think it'll make the transition to my few skips in point of view easier to assimilate. They'll seem like simple scene changes, rather than drastic changes in who's doing the thinking.

I hope.

Little things like this should make it so much easier to read, and I think they improve the overall flow immeasurably.

Plus, the more I read, the more I'm assured that this is a pretty darn good story. There are flashes of real humor, real sorrow, real anger in these lines. My characters are adamant about the story they want me to tell, and they're nudging me none-too-gently toward that ideal.

I feel the vigor, the need to finish that I haven't felt for quite some time. I can't wait to get to Book 3 and write new stuff, and I can't wait to write those sacred and blessed words....

THE END.

I can almost taste it. *grin*

Beloved sister? Adored Lizard Queen? You've created a monster.

3 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger The Lizard Queen said...

Just call me Frankenstein. *grin*

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Woo-hoo! You're really cruising--you'll be finishing book three by Halloween at this rate! It's amazing how cleaning up just a little clutter can make your story (or your home for that matter, but don't ask about how messy our house is) tighter and faster.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Ack! Don't mention my house! It's a godawful mess!

I am the worst housekeeper in the history of the world. My living and dining rooms look like a demilitarized zone. My kitchen? Well, I only really clean it when I'm getting ready to bake. It just kinda piles up in between baking sessions.

I can count the number of times I've vacuumed this year on one hand, not using all the fingers. *sheepish*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home