Monday, August 09, 2004

Dear Charlie:

So I'm watching WWE Smackdown this weekend. Yes, I watch wrestling. Yes, I love it. *grin* Not a very girlie pursuit, but I don't do many girlie things except brush my hair and teeth and bathe every day. Sometimes TWICE.

At any rate, I'm watching WWE Smackdown, and I come to a stunning conclusion: football season is finally here! Woo-hoo! Okay, technically, it's just preseason, but for a football nut like me, there's no JUST about it. Football is football, and it's HERE. Preseason game tonight, and I will be front row center in my living room, Bud Lite in one hand and volume clicker in the other.

So, my sister and I discussed this magical time of year when I visited her yesterday. We're both chuffed to the gills over it. Where we usually talk writing and laugh like idiots -- her husband says our IQs drop to negative when I'm around -- we instead oozed preseason cheer and made sure the game came on local stations so I can watch it without having to drive an hour and a half to my sister's house to do so. *grin* Lucky me. It's on ABC.

At any rate, while watching Luther Reigns -- and isn't he just beautiful? -- stalk around the ring as Kurt Angle kicked the crap out of Charlie Haas, I slowly became ever more excited because I know that THIS YEAR...is THE YEAR. I have a feeling deep in my bones that THIS YEAR the Chiefs will hit the Super Bowl. I know, I know. I say this every year. But this year, we have the pieces in place. It's check mate, baby.

We have an unstoppable offense. We have reliable special teams. And we have Gunther Cunningham whipping our defense into shape -- we always had stellar defense, though the overall team didn't do so hot, with him in the head coach seat. How can we lose?

Of course, you may all be pointing and laughing at me come January, but I still feel it in my bones. I won't say we'll win it all, but I think we'll get there. It's Bowl-time, sugar pie. We're THERE.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Woo-hoo! Rabid Chief fans unite!!

Did you hear about the brawl between the Vikes and Chiefs during their little scrimage? There's a write up in the KCStar about it.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Yup. Derek told me about it. It was a bad enough rumble that a couple of practice-squaders were actually injured. *grin*

God, I love football!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home